Sunday, February 24, 2008

Operation Cake

So, here it is Sunday night. I'm home alone, exhausted, and blogging. We have had a successful weekend if I do say so myself. First let me explain the title for those of you that are reading this but aren't really all that involved with our day to day.

Operation cake began on Thursday with the start of an adventure I was sure I could tackle. I decided I was going to make Griffin's birthday cake all by myself and it was going to look good or I was a failure as a mother. So, Thursday I baked the cake because the cake I was planning on using takes some crazy amount of time to not only bake but cool (which if you don't know the cooling process is KEY!). So, the cake got baked on Thursday and cooled all the way until Friday (not that it really needed that long but that's how long it had). So, Friday is here, I just got off work, and now it means business. If I was going to do this cake thing right I had to do it all the way which means also making my own icing from scratch, which I have never done before without a mother close by keeping an eye, aka making it for me. So, I get out the recipe and I start making some icing, using my husband as my taste tester. I got it tasting right and added the food coloring to make it look a bright St. Patrick's day green. "AWESOME," I thought, "this is going just as I planned. Right on schedule! Where are those cake decorating doowops I bought from the store? Hmmm, searching...aha! That only took me 20 minutes...getting a little off schedule here but I'll make it up, where is my husband? He can make some more icing!" (That was all in my head I don't talk to myself...that much. So, now I'm decorating and Chris (the amazing supportive husband) is making some icing for the yellow parts of the frog. Oh, yes, I made a frog cake, but not just any frog cake...oh you'll see the pictures! While Chris was making the icing he points out to me that I made the icing wrong the first go wrong because I was in such a hurry I used 1 tablesppon of vanilla instead of 1 teaspon, whoops! Oh well! Now, I'm icing the cake and I'm in a groove and I'm moving! RING RING, the phone, grrr, it caused me to jump and now there is an imperfection in said cake. Oh well, I'm the only one that will notice! It's Chris' family. There here, in town, which means we're leaving to go have dinner. Oh man, it's 7:00. No problem, we'll get it all done...TONIGHT! We go eat; we come back; we put Griffin to bed...at 10:00. Now I'm really off schedule. That was a major set back, but you gotta eat I suppose. "Back to work honey, no time for goofing off. Could you grab that other icing bag and start filling in the yellow please?" Blank stare from the now not so sure what to say husband. "You want me to decorate the cake? The front of the cake? Where everyone can see?" Oh, man is he really asking me this now? "Yes dear, you'll do great!" That's right Chris is now a cake decorating pro for all of those that give him a hard time about being a hair model now you can add this to your list of metro things Chris can/could/would do. We got the green, the yellow, the white, and the black icing all done after only busting one icing bag. We are finished! Not too bad. Haha, but you should see my hands. I'm either turning into the Hulk or the Jolly Green Giant whichever character you desire. Look at the clock...oh dear...midnight, I'm getting really old because I would normally be in bed NO later than 9:30. Now all I can think about is my 7:00 AM wake up call that's sleeping upstairs. Lights out and I'm asleep, just like that, almost instantaneously (pretty sure I didn't spell that right!). 7:00 Am just like I thought, I'm up, Chris is up, Griffin's up and we're onto the count down until Griff's party. Now, I have to make chicken salad. Where's my amazing husband to help me again. Enter husband, "What stinks in here? It smells like tuna." hahahahaha, chicken salad which I'm going to con him into helping with. "I'm running out of time, I don't have everything done, I'm stressing out!"
"It's ok honey, just slow down. What can I do to help?" *grin* in my head, "Really honey? You're great, could you cut the grapes and chop some parsley, that would be great help!" Man, I love my husband! All, done with everything at about 10:00 am. When I say everything I mean the foods made, the kid's been fed, the cars packed. 10:20 we're out the door! On our way to Griffin's first photo shoot. Oh, yes, our child is modeling for Ralph Lauren. Just kidding, he was just getting pictures made. When I said I had a timeline I meant it. 11:30, photo session over, Chick-fil-a for lunch and drop me at the church (where Griffin's party was going to be). My help was already there thank goodness. Open the car to unload...insta-broken plate. Oh well, at least it wasn't my cake which is still safe at home! Everyone helps me decoarate the room and party starts at 2:00 on the dot. Griffin is no where to be found. 2:05...2:10...2:15...calling husband. "Where are you? You have the cake!," don't worry about Griffin right! "We're here." Whew, that's a good thing I was nervous about that cake. Well, the party was a success, the cake was a hit, and my hands are still slightly green. So, a total of 6.5 hours of dealing with making the cake and 10 minutes to eat it and I'm a good mother after all.

1 comment:

jani said...

WHAT??? I need to see some pictures!!

Mommy and Grif

Mommy and Grif
At the Puerto Rican Fest!

Bath Time!

Bath Time!
Griffin Loves the bath!